Twelve Clean Pages by Nika Maples, The Apothecary by Maile Maloy, Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick, & Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Twelve Clean Pages by Nika Maples
This is a wonderful book, written by my friend from church, who suffered a stroke at the age of twenty and had to relearn how to do everything. Doctors had not even expected her to survive, let alone recover! It is one of the most spiritually inspirational books I have ever read. Everyone needs to read this book. 5/5


The Apothecary by Maile Maloy

This is one of the books I won from a drawing at Children's Writer Newsletter. I haven't finished it, but it is really good. It is about a girl whose family moves from California to London because her parents are accused of being Communists. She discovers there is a lot more going on than communism behind closed doors. This book has elements of fantasy, mystery, and adventure. I love it. 4/5

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick
This is another book I won from the drawing. It is such a unique book and is written by the same author who wrote The Invention of Hugo Cabret, the new movie that just came out. Wonderstruck tells two stories, one in pictures, another in words and by teh end of the book they come together to make one complete story. I enjoyed the mystery of finding out how they were related. Great book for kids and families. 3.5/5

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
This is a book I read in middle school and had to reread because it is so good. It's set in the middle of WWII and is about a girl who is friends with a Jewish girl. The book is about how they have to protect their Jewish friends and what the people did to survive persecution from the Nazis from a child's perspective. It is loosely based on a true story. 4/5


**If you notice, most of the books I read, I recommend...that's because if I don't start out enjoying them, I usually don't even finish the book ;) I once heard, give a book a chance up until page 50, then you can decide whether you want to keep going or not...that's pretty much been my rule of thumb

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...