Craft: Book Reviews for Small Businesses

These are some great resources if you have a hobby you'd like to turn into a side job to earn some extra money.  All of these books contain great resource lists for craft communities online, marketing strategies and craft fairs/meet up groups in your area.

I just took the leap this summer and decided to launch my business, ASpoolofThread, after I did some research via Barnes and Noble.  Here are the books that helped me get started.

Mom Inc. by Meg Mateo Ilasco & Cat Seto
This is where I started, because let's face it, I can't get as much work done around the house having a toddler as opposed to starting up a small business in an empty house.  This book was helpful in giving me practical advice about the obstacles I'd face as a mother trying to work from home and how to use my time wisely.  It also included interviews with successful businesses run by moms that work from home with small children.




The Handmade Marketplace by Kari Chapin
This book focused on starting a handmade business and how to market yourself to gain exposure.  In addition, it had advice on how to handle craft fairs, online stores and branding your business.


The Crafty Superstar by Grace Dobush
This book also gave practical advice about starting a handmade business, but the difference was it included actual spreadsheets and templates to use in your day to day record keeping.  Parts of this book were written like a fill-in-the-blank journal to help you organize your thoughts.


Handmade to Sell by Kelly Rand
This book was similar to the Handmade Marketplace in that it offered information on how to deal with taxes and legal stuff as well as marketing tips.  I especially liked that it included color photos of craft fair booth setups and branding/packaging ideas.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I need to get these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're awesome, but expect to have a LOT of homework!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...