So every time I meet a pregnant friend, they ask me what the best purchases are for their baby. It seems all my suggestions are for keeping baby entertained, but a relaxed mommy and a happy baby make for a good day. So here are my personal top ten:
1. Swing: I recommend getting one that swings front to back and side to side. This way you can see which way your baby prefers. H hated the swing until I bought one that could go side to side. Then we were all in heaven.
2. Pack n Play: Get one that converts from a bassinet to play pen. I kept H in our room in the bassinet until he was ready to convert to a crib. I found that the changing station was more of a pain because it was angled and H would roll to the side. We ended up using a blanket on the bed for nighttime changes. When he was more mobile, I used it in the bathroom for him to play in when I took a shower and for a travel bed.
3. Jumper: We couldn't use this until H could support his head, but I started using it at four months! I put blankets behind his back to hold him up and a pillow under his feet so he could touch the floor. He loved being able to use it!
4. Night Light: This doubles as a way to get baby to sleep and worked as a night light for nighttime diaper changes. It plays music, has nature sounds and the screen moves. It also has a separate light button. When H moved to his crib, we used this to help him sleep at night. A MUST in our family.
5. Baby Monitor: This is great because you can take it to any room you need or even outside if you want to sit on the back porch. I figured I'd be too paranoid using a video monitor, so I opted for the audio one. Then I just left his door opened a crack so I could check when I was worried.
6. Velcro Swaddle Blanket or Swaddle Pod: H was a wiggler and could get out of any blanket wrap, so the swaddle pods worked great. He slept longer when he was wrapped up tight.
7. Bath Tub with Sling: Newborns aren't supposed to sit in the water yet, so this convertible bathtub with a sling is perfect. This way you can rinse the baby without him sitting in the water.
8. Baby Einstein Videos: These saved us many nights when H was wide awake and wouldn't stop crying. We'd put this on and it was like a switch was flipped. He loved these videos. What a life saver!
9. Play Mat: Great for practicing motor skills and tummy time! Get one with lights and music and you'll be set!
10.Baby Carrier: When you don't want to lug around a stroller, this is the way to go. I liked the Moby wrap for comfort, but if you don't want to spend all that time tying it up, try the Baby Bjorn.
**If you have a baby with reflux, check out my previous post with reflux-related products here.