Pregnancy Sickness Tips

I dreamt of pregnancy being full of wonderful moments...the baby kicking, cute maternity clothes, silly cravings, and big boobs. But, 6 weeks into my actual pregnancy with my head in the toilet, I feared I had been all wrong about my fantasy.  There are fun moments, but in my pregnancy, they were few and far between.  I love being a mommy, but did not enjoy being pregnant.  If you did, good for you, just don't share it with any other sick pregnant mommies. We are jealous. Very jealous.



As for what helped me through those wonderful 9-10 months, here are few suggestions that may help you if you are wishing you had that pregnancy glow as you barf up your breakfast again.

1. Eat as much as you can throughout the day.  These were some simple foods I ate in the morning.  Nothing like eating a popsicle for breakfast on your commute to work...
  • Popsicles
  • chocolate milk
  • crackers and Sprite
  • toast and tea

2. Drink water all day.  Buy a canister you like and drink all day.  You need more than normal.  You're already having to pee all day anyway.

3. Sleep as much as you can.  That first trimester, many nights I would come home from work, eat a quick dinner and fall asleep before 7 on the couch.

4. Let your husband help.  Don't worry about chores or cooking like you used to.  Just stock up on quick meals, freezer meals, and TV dinners for those rough days.

5. Call your doctor if you need more help. Here's what worked for me:
  • Throwing up: Prescription Zofran worked best for me.  It didn't really help my nausea but 9 times out of 10 it helped keep me from throwing up...however it makes you constipated.
  • Nausea: ginger ale, peppermints, snacks on hand--pushing myself to eat all day was hard, but you have to eat for your baby!
  • Heartburn: Tums worked for me.  I even had heartburn during labor--so bad that I had to stop pushing so that my husband could hand me more Tums.
  • Swollen Feet: ice packs, elevate on pillows, stay off as much as possible, avoid being pregnant during a Texas summer...
  • Constipation: On a daily basis I would eat fiber bars and/or Frosted Mini Wheats in a bag. I also had to switch to a prescription prenatal because it contained less iron.  Because this caused most of my throwing up, my doctor recommended milk of magnesia on bad days and an enema on terrible days.  You can also try prunes but I threw up more prunes than I'd care to remember, so they weren't very effective.
  • Braxton Hicks Contractions: These are normal, but at one point I was having almost 20 an hour, so when I called my doctor he said that I needed to be drinking more water.  Normal rates are about 4-5 an hour.
Among the other fun and common symptoms I had were nose bleeds, insomnia, constant need to pee, charlie horse in legs, anxiety, dizziness when standing, and sore muscles.  But I survived and so will you.  Just focus on the reason why you're going through pregnancy: to meet your little buddy!

Pregnancy Books I Used for General Info:
What to Expect When You're Expecting
Baby Wise
Preparation for Parenting
Your Pregnancy Week by Week
Pregnancy for Dummies

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...