Why to Consider Starting a Journal

My 1993 Journal Entry about Getting Sick on Christmas Day
Ever since I could write, I've kept a journal.  My first diary entry in 2nd grade was a list of my best friends (I had 20+) which were basically the kids in my class, my favorite food and a lie about scoring the winning goal in a soccer game.  When I was little I wrote to impress others.  As I got to middle school and high school, I wrote to vent about others.  By the end of high school, I changed the perspective of writing to myself and started writing my entries as prayers.  I didn't start with "Dear God" and end "In Jesus' name, Amen" but I was writing them as a conversation between me and God.  And it stuck.  I'm better at journaling than praying, so for the times I don't really focus on my prayer life, journaling helps me take an honest look at who I want to be in the midst of my sin and struggles.

My 3 Guidelines for Journaling:
1. You don't have to write everyday, but write as often as you can.

2. Be honest in your feelings, confessions, stresses, worries.  Abraham, Noah, Moses, David and others spoke to God with honesty as if having a conversation with a friend.  They questioned, they battled, they worked things out together.


3. Write about whatever you want: a current stress, prayer requests, notes from what's being taught at church, relevant Bible verses for your day, etc.

Benefits I've Experienced from Journaling:
calmness
peace
relief
comfort
clarity
understanding
knowledge
relationship with God
bravery
motivation
strength through depression
less fighting over petty things
problem solving

Bible Verses on "Journaling":
Deuteronomy 6:5-9 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.  These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.  Impress them on your children.  Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.  Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates. 

Deuteronomy 4:29 If you seek the Lord your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.

1 Chronicles 28:9 Serve him with whole-hearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the Lord searches every heart and understands every motive behind the thoughts.

2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Proverbs 7:1,3 Keep my words and store up my commands within you.  Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart.

I will start adding future posts in the section Bible Study for helpful verses/outlines/resources I've used to help me work through various "motherhood/being a woman issues" I've written about in my journal.  Check back soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...